Wednesday 2 March 2011

Familiarity vs. betrayal

After conducting my questionnaires and analysing the results I decided to focus on particular things that people said and certain objects that people spoke about. For example I have decided to focus on the objects that people value and are familiar with such as Rupert's Fork or Pip's paintbrush. Rupert said that he "appreciates the size and feel of it in his hand" so I have taken this and decided to try and alter his feelings about fork's by altering their shape/ form and material from which they are made. One artist that has helped me with this idea is Cornelia Parker. She comments in the book "Altered Objects" on how lots of her work is created through "Cartoon deaths", such as the flattening of silver object by a steam roller, or "little acts of betrayal". I have interpreted her thoughts about betrayal, to see if I can alter the object enough to make someone feel differently about it, by betraying the original function of, for example a fork, and by betraying the person who once valued it by now making them feel more negative towards the object.








By creating models out of forks which can no longer function properly i hope to provoke feelings of frustration towards the objects. I have already tried out one of the models (the double fork) by giving it people and all of them said that they wanted to snap it, this being quite an aggressive action towards the object because they know what a fork normally looks like and how the prongs are fundamental for a fork to work, hence why I am using the word "familiarity" relating to objects.

What I will do after creating more models is film people trying to use each one in comparison to how a normal fork works. I will aim to film as many people at once so that the end product will be a massive projection of all the people that participated.

No comments:

Post a Comment