Thursday 24 February 2011

Final Major Project!: week 1

I decided to base my project on the interaction between humans and objects hence the title "Human Interactions". So far my research has involved looking at the BBC series "Human Planet", I have sketched and labelled some of the objects that tribes use. I found the book "perform" very useful as it is packed with performance art references, one particular project I liked was "Street Museum" by the group Colectivo Cambalache. The project involved the creation of a street display of objects that people had discarded, layed out on the road. People wold then bring objects of their own in exchange for another one already on display. I think it relates to my project because it touches on why people value certain objects.




http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/humanplanetexplorer/    (Human Planet website)

At the moment my research it very broad but I don't think this matters at the moment because I will start to narrow it down nest week in the final stages of research. I have already stared picking out certain things that I am more interested in such as the value of objects and have started collecting and categorising objects so that they contrast. For example ornaments (which has a decorative nature) vs. a doorstop (which is purely functional) I will examine whether people would rather have a functional or decorative object in their house etc.

The only problem I would say I'm having at this early stage is over thinking things. I think that because I learn the best from making I should maybe aim to start making by next week rather than waiting until week 3 (the exploration stage). I think this is what will help me focus my research rather than filling sketch books with references I also think I need to find a particular artist to look at who uses objects and performance in some way. I will ask my tutor about this and other students in the crit tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment